You may have heard the concept of “tell-a-friend” which is a great way to spread the word about your website or something you are offering (a freebie, a low end product or event). The idea is that the person visiting your site then goes and tells 2 or 3 others and then they also let others know and so on “making it viral”. This strategy allows you to spread the word about your product or event faster than traditional marketing.
So how do we get this to work?
Most people operate on the wiifm station “Whats in it for me?”. So a better strategy is if you can offer them an incentive – a free gift in exchange for letting their friends know about your website.
Lets look at this in further detail…
- You have an offer on your website for a free gift or selling a low end product or event (eg $97)
- After joining your fabulous offer they see a page with the headline “May I offer you a gift?”.
- The page then goes on to explain that if they don’t mind spreading the word about your offer by filling in the form below, You will give them something else of value (eg an audio series, a video series – it should be a digital product that you don’t need to handle).
- Under that is a box for them to enter the names of at least one friend (space can be up to 10 friends)
- After entering their friends names and emails, the friends will be automatically sent an email from them (written by you) telling them about your offer. Its important that the Friend’s details do not get captured by your database, as this is illegal and is classed as spamming. Its not illegal for someone to email another friend, that’s why the email must show up in their inbox as from them.
- The friends can then choose to click on the link and view the offer (if they choose not to take part that is their choice, you won’t be able to track this or email them again as you won’t have their details).
- Meanwhile the visitor to your site gets their bonus gift emailed to them
- Hopefully the friends then take up the offer and tell other people and the cycle continues!
So how do we make this work?
There aren’t too many softwares out there that can manage this strategy which is strange as I think this is a great strategy. I’ve looked for wordpress plugins that do exactly this, and not managed to find one.
One software I’ve came across years ago when I first heard about this is Viral Friend Generator. This software needs to be installed on your website separately to your other software running your site, so can be a bit tricky if you’re not familiar with this sort of thing, and has its own license costs.
Secret weapon software has this feature built in already and as this is a fully integrated software it means that Secret weapon software users can set up this strategy as part of their site and not need to manage a separate login area or software as you need to with VFG.